(Last updated: 26 Apr 23)
The International Association of Military Geosciences invites you to the 15th International Conference on Military Geosciences (ICMG24), hosted by the Faculty of Military Sciences at Stellenbosch University, which will be held in Somerset West at the Lord Charles Hotel and Conference Centre from 10 to 14 June 2024. A post-conference battlefield tour (15 to 20 June 2024) to various selected South African battlefields, scenic sites and interesting places in the Western Cape area will close the conference.
THEME: The theme of the conference will be:
Unmasking the change and continuity in the nature and character of military operations.
With this deliberate broad theme, the organisers aim to host a conference celebrating the diversity of research avenues explored by Military Geoscientists, as well as the impact this research has on military activities in the broadest possible sense. Considering the current military events in the world, this conference presents a major opportunity to devote time to presentations specifically related to the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
APPROACH FOR THE ICMG24: The approach from the ICMG 2024 Organising Committee is to bring in new elements compared to previous conferences. This will be the first international hybrid conference in military geosciences to attract (in-person and virtual) military geoscientists from around the globe. In addition, invitations will be sent to various national and international higher institutions and military organisations/academies to attract a wider audience (including geoscience practitioners and students).
FEES: Preliminary fees are as follows (might change at short notice):
- Online (virtual) participation registration cost is $50 USD.
- In-person participation registration cost is $480 USD (see the webpage for more information on entitlements).
- Accommodation reservations start at $145 USD per night, per room and include breakfast, 15% VAT and 1% tourism levy.
- Post-conference field excursion is $1 500 USD per person, one per room, and $1 200 USD per person sharing.
- Accompanying Partner’s Conference Options: total to participate in all the conference options is $250 (please see the website for a breakdown of the options and fees).
EVENT DETAILS: What to expect during the conference:
- Two keynote presentations by well-known and renowned military geoscience researchers.
- Presentations from distinguished international and South African scholars and researchers.
- Two field trips are planned during the conference, namely a visit to the Naval Base and Institute for Maritime Technology (IMT-ARMSCOR) in Simon’s Town, and a half-day excursion to Robben Island – a place of isolation where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years.
- A welcoming function on Sunday evening and a conference dinner on Tuesday evening (all lunches and coffee breaks are included).
- The five-day post-conference field excursion will include visits to the greater Cape Town Metropolitan area, Franschhoek, Cederberg region, Saldanha Bay and Buffelsfontein Game and Nature Reserve.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION: The submission for Abstracts (oral and posters) opens on 1 August 2023.
- Abstracts must not exceed 300 words.
- They must include the title, author(s), lead author’s affiliation and email address, as well as an indication of whether the abstract is for an oral or a poster presentation.
- The last date for abstract submission is 31 March 2024.
- Final acceptance is contingent on registration and payment.
- Send abstracts to Evert Kleynhans at email@example.com.
REGISTRATION AND ACCOMMODATION: Registration and bookings will open on 1 August 2023 (forms will be made available on the website). Note that the conference registration and accommodation bookings must be completed through the Faculty of Military Sciences website – ICMG24 webpage.
- Conference registration for in-person and online attendance will close on 17 May 2024.
- Accommodation reservations will close on 24 May 2024.
PUBLICATIONS: Various peer-reviewed outputs are anticipated (please see the webpage for more details).
MORE INFORMATION AND CONTACT: More information about the conference, such as the preliminary conference programme can be found on the conference website.
Alternatively, to request more specific information e-mail Babalwa Mtshawu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ivan Henrico (email@example.com) or Hennie Smit (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note that the ICMG24 webpage will be updated regularly as more information and confirmations become available. Please check the website regularly for updated information.